The rules of each game are simply described.
· Decide whether it’s a race to or from the flat (100 square). Decide whether, when the dice are thrown, the numbers are added together (any number of dice) or multiplied (two or three dice?).
· Dienes materials available to each group, plus dice appropriate to the needs of the group.
· Each child takes turns to throw the dice and calculate the sum or product.
· This amount is then taken from the general pile and placed in front of the child. The calculation can be recorded eg 3+4=7. This can provide a second layer of checking.
· If playing race from the flat, the child starts with ten ten rods, then takes an appropriate amount from these.
· Subsequent rounds see pieces added to the child’s collection; recorded as needed, eg round 2, 5+2=7 (7+7=14; the teacher should see one ten and four ones)
· The first child to or from the flat is the winner.
Altering the number of dice alters the challenge.